Listen, sometimes you just have to really, really celebrate the small things in life. Like, super small. I've learned that the older you get, the most really simple things make you feel like you are on.top.of.the.world. Paid a bill two weeks early? You're a goddess. Did you eat a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast instead of eggs? YOU ARE A DANG ADULT LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST.
Update: I WOKE UP THIS MORNING TO THE BIGGEST SPIDER OF MY LIFE AND I REALIZED I HAD TO DEAL WITH IT BECAUSE I WAS THE ONLY ADULT AROUND. Ugh, I was not emotionally prepared for that.
1) I have managed to keep TWO plants alive for a month. Okay, one of them is a succulent that basically short of pouring gasoline it will stay alive, but seriously, I once killed a plastic plant by setting it near a heater and burning it slightly. So as you can imagine, any time I get a plant I start getting very nervous about how long it will be before I kill it off and currently I have an actual phone counter that lets me know that I have successful adulted for 31 days.
Necklace: J. Crew (similar)
2) I legit wrote thank you notes and cared about how my handwriting looked. Have a mailed them? Nope. Have I written them? Yes. Have I texted people that they have a thank you card and asked for their address acting like I'm about to drop them into the mail? YEP! Have I do that? Nope, haven't even closed the envelope. However, I have written them and the thanks is basically there. Just not like literally there yet.
3) I updated my LinkedIn profile and am not even looking for a job! Like, could this have ever happened before in the history of LinkedIn? Seriously. I typed in some updates and was quietly removed my hands from the keyboard and said "Woah." Adulthood achievement badge unlocked!
Necklace: J. Crew (similar)
4) I had the option to get a sensible breakfast of eggs and some other healthy food but instead I opted for the most carb-heavy bagel WITH cream cheese. Why does this make me feel like an adult? Because I am gosh darn it an adult who can make her own decisions and doesn't have to listen to someone tell me I should eat the sensible breakfast because if I want a bagel I'm getting a frigging bagel and THAT IS YOUR ADULT RIGHT TO. Do you want to have a muffin that is really a cupcake that is piled high with frosting? YOU DO YOU. YOU KNOW?
Necklace: J. Crew (similar)Fizz & Frosting (Bloglovin') | The Adored Life (Bloglovin')
5) I legit planned an entire Friday night around organizing my pantry and grocery shopping. I mean, I told people I was super busy and it definitely wasn't a lie. I had a calendar reminder on payday that I was BUYING ALL THE NAME BRAND THINGS and getting down with a label maker and it.went.down. This also had to happen because I went to one of those membership-places and well, I ended up basically buying two gallons of salsa, three jars of Alfredo sauce,a five pound bag of chocolate chips and that's just the NOT EMBARRASSING list of things that I impulsively bought.
Honestly, the most empowering thing out of those five was just that I realized I could saunter on into any bakery or breakfast shop and chose my own breakfast and the child behind me had to obey his mom and get something like steel cut oats (HOW do people eat those?!) and I would soon walk out with a delicious pastry. Like I said, it's the little, little things in life that matter.