When I created the reader survey, I had no idea what to expect! I loved, loved, loved getting to read your completely anon answers! It was amazing to learn more about YOU and also find out why you keep reading the blog! Let me tell you, getting to know more about you made me want to fly out and meet every single one of you! I loved that you are all owning your lives so hard (even when you don’t think you are) and are passionate about so many things!
There were some quirky things I learned about what you want from me (or rather – don’t want! Like shopping my instagram) and also about the things you’ve wanted to ask me! I was so happy to learn that just like myself, you want me to talk more about my personal life and mix in career posts, lifestyle, home decor and share what’s on my mind!
What’s your closet like? How do you shop?
First off, shopping is a solo-activity for me. I do not like to waste time when I am in stores. If I spend more than 30 minutes in a store, I am probably getting claustrophobic and annoyed I am not making a personal best for shopping time. (My father taught me about efficiency and not wasting time. I have been told I sometimes take this too seriously.) I tend to always shop online, partially due to not being near stores like Nordstrom, but also because I travel so much for work and I don’t have room in a suitcase for extra items.
Before this year, I tended to just buy what I liked (under a $50 price point). This year I am trying to be more intentional as I shift most of my shopping towards buying classic work pieces. I know that I will have to spend money on basics that are going to last years so I am scaling back my impulsive, lower-price point purchases, to save for the items I know I need. (Forever 21 is fine in a pinch, but I’m 26 and have to admit I am growing out of that store in so many ways.)
My closet is well, in a word, larger. I bought clothing racks (like this) and set up the basement bedroom like the largest walk-in closet I’ve had. Oh and I have a closet within my “closet.” I have my clothing sectioned off into different categories:
- Work clothing (lightest to darkest, casual to dressy, divided by long-sleeve, short-sleeve, skirts, dresses)
- Casual clothing (lightest to darkest) (I have VERY little casual clothing)
- Dresses (divided by season and then lightest to darkest
- Shoes (color coordinated, divided by season and comfort level)
I plan out my work outfits a week ahead of time to save time. I’ll be sharing my strategy for this and how it’s helped me maximize my mornings very soon! I can tell you though that I am super picky about how my closet is arranged and I can tell you where every single article of clothing is.
Also, the dress I am wearing in this post is one of my FAVORITES of ALLLLLL time! I’m wearing a six 8 and I cannot tell you how much I LOVE it!
Have you had pushback because of being real on the blog?
I have been extremely, extremely lucky that I have never gotten pushback or mean comments on any post where I’ve written about really personal things. I used to hold back on personal posts because I would read websites that talked about how annoying bloggers were and I was afraid somehow I would end up there. But then I was like, wait, these people don’t even know me so whatever.
I really am so thankful for all of you allowing me to create this little safe space on the internet for me. I do not take it lightly that you guys have been reading about my life for years and respond so overwhelmingly when I write about my personal struggles and things that are on my heart.
2017 I am going speak about a lot of things that have been on my mind and heart. A lot of these topics I haven’t even spoken about to real-life friends but you all have embraced my thoughts and I cannot wait to share with you!
You haven’t talk about being homeschooled!
A lot of you that know I was homeschooled want to know more about what the transition from being home-educated to college went! I actually get this question a lot and I can’t wait to share that post with you. I will warn you now, it’s going to be a long one!
What’s it like to have a sibling with special needs?
This is one of those topics that I want to write about more thoroughly (see my answer to the first question above) because I cannot express to you what a wonderful human being my little brother Joel is. We are 19 months apart and he has Down Syndrome. (Pssst! You can see Joel and I here!)
What I can say though is that when someone asks who my hero is, I instantly say Joel. No hesitation. He won’t ever read these words. He won’t ever understand what a hero means, but he’s mine.
What happened to your college boyfriend?
As you may have assumed, my college boyfriend and I broke up. It was bad. It went on for many months. I blogged a few times during it but I took a break in October of 2014 due to the break up and moving. I had never broken up with anyone before and I can tell you, that it deeply affected me. I struggled with how to share about it as I felt like you all deserved to know, but I didn’t know how to say it.
I’ve had a lot of person growth since the breakup. I’m in a healthy, wonderful, fulfilling relationship now that I take very seriously if I should share about. The problem with blogging and a breakup is that you have all these posts that complete strangers can go back and read about your life and you have to relive your memories and a bunch of strangers can relive (including the current person you are dating).
Will you share your dating life again?
Yes! It’s been hard for me to figure out how to share information about my relationship without worrying about regret and looking at old blog posts if it ends. But you know what? Every relationship has the chance of ending, not taking chance because you are afraid of some old blog entries is silly. I’ve been open about so much of my life in the past few years, and it time to not hold this area of my life back from the blog. I can’t I’m excited to share more about this area of my life! I can tell you that he is amazing and you all will love him!
Please don’t be a sell out!
I loved reading your insights into what makes a blogger a sellout in your opinion. I can assure you though, I’m not going to turn this blog into a cash grab. And also I don’t even know how to do that so take comfort in that fact as well. Also, some of you named bloggers that you think are sellouts and let me tell you, I really love getting all your gossip and venting.
What is your best blogging advice?
Do not blog for money, stats or anything other than just pure intentions. I never started out blogging with the intention of anyone even reading it, but here we are. It makes me so angry when someone says they are failing at blogging because they have been doing it for a year and aren’t landing campaigns. Excuse me? You have to put in work and also, wouldn’t you rather have people to actually READ what you are saying than a company give you something but have no audience? If your focus is on the latter, you probably aren’t going to find blogging very rewarding.
Can you share your size in clothing for reference?
You will now see me noting my size in clothing next to links. I never thought about doing this before and I hope it’s helpful!
How many pairs of shoes do you own?
50-ish. My goal is to start buying quality over quantity, so by the end of the year that number will be substantially smaller as I get rid of my lower-quality, painful items.
Did you ever go trick-or-treating?
I ended up being in Boca Raton, Florida on Halloween! Womp. Womp. Oh well, there’s always next year! I am going to think of the perfect *first* costume now that I have like eight months to plan!
Now onto the fun stuff!
- You all are NOT about having a newsletter! (This one really surprised me, although it should NOT have as I personally do not subscribe to newsletters from other bloggers.)
- You would like two posts a week, or whenever I can get new content up. (PHEW! So much less pressure knowing you don’t want a ton of posts from me and prefer genuine content over just getting something up on the blog!)
- You all want me to keep being personal, but mix in career posts and lifestyle! (YAY! I am so excited you all feel this way as I want to share more about my life beyond clothing. This gives me so much freedom!)
- You are NOT about to shop my Instagram. (This one I was nervous about, but you all feel like me and the shopping instagrams is annoying)
- Your favorite posts general involve me being very vulnerable because you find it refreshing to read content people aren’t writing about. (There were some favorites that were more humor-based, but as a general whole, you all prefer me to keep saying what I’m feeling because it makes you feel less alone.)
- You all really love my hair. Like, really love my hair.
- My long-distance friends use my blog as a way to justify not seeing me as much.
Topics you want me to cover
- My relationship with my body
- Dressing for the office as a young professional
- Life after college
- How I balance work, life, blogging, etc.
- What it’s like to be homeschooled
- What are my favorite hobbies
- Work travel tips
- Transitioning my closet from college to career
- What Kansas is like
- What the heck is there to do in Wichita, Kansas?!
- How do you budget your money?
- How did I find out what I loved and get a career in it
- My current relationship and how I’ve changed since my college dating
- Home decor
- Where do I shop for work clothes
- Advice (I’d love to know what YOU’D like my advice on!)
Did you forget to fill out the survey? No problem, just comment and let me know if there’s a topic you’d like to see me address! I am really excited about the direction my life is headed and I am thrilled that you all have welcomed me focusing in on content that is important to me and where I am.